Police Station - Dartmouth Road

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Ella

Police Station - Dartmouth Road

Post by Ella »

Can anyone tell me what is happening to the old section house behind the police station in Dartmouth Road?
Dutch Cow

Post by Dutch Cow »

The last I new it was being used as a Hostel for Assylum seekers. Not sure now though.
Ella

Post by Ella »

Yes it seems to be undergoing a complete refurb and now has a sign across the front calling the building 'Miriam Lodge'.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

What a shame that te name of the building has been changed. It was originally named Paul Breen section house after PC Paul Breen who was killed on duty.
Dutch Cow

Post by Dutch Cow »

I agree and am going to delve further.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Hi Dutch Cow, Have you found any more info regarding Miriam Court? Walked past today and there's a completely out of place looking mock-Grecian balastraude thing. Looks awful!!

Savvy
Dutch Cow

Post by Dutch Cow »

Have checked out the lewisham Planning registers and there are no applications going back for at least two years. Can only assume that a refurbishment of the existing building would not need Planning. The name change is strange as I would think the Post Office would need to agree that along with the Council.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

It would appear that work has started on this site without planning permission being granted. A number of locals residents contacted trhe Sydenham Society who in turn contacted the planning department. The planning department have agreed to send the enforcement officer to visit the site this week.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I can elaborate slightly....if anyone is interested.

I live in close proximity to Miriam Lodge and have been monitoring activities for some time.

In September 2006 a site investigation was conducted for foundation design. This means the (then)owners were planning to demolish the existing Paul Breen House building and put something else there. Apparently the proposal was for high-density housing. this was rejected by Lewisham Planning Dept, in that it wouldn't be in keeping with the area and would create additional 'problems'.
So.....
The site was then sold to someone else at the end of 2006. 'works' have been happening for many months. This includes stripping out of fittings and decorating with tiling, new entrances, exterior lighting, etc, etc.
I spoke to one of the site workers in May 2007, and he said he had no idea what the building was going to be. (call me cynical, but I didn't believe a word of it)

I contacted Lewisham soon afterwards to inform them that unauthorised works were happening. The informed me that they had no Planning Applications for the site and someone would be visiting the site to inspect the works. I had no feedback from this.

Last week, the Syd Soc again contacted Lewisham Planning Dept, and they said they would be reviewing the matter at the earliest opportunity.
I am upset (putting it mildly)that the Planning System has been willfully ignored in this case. There are other Health and Safety issues which also cause me some concern.

The latest rumour is that it is to be a hotel, but that could take many forms

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss any matters relating to this in more detail, or put them on the board.
AliB
marianne

Post by marianne »

Is there any news on Miriam Lodge in Dartmouth Road? The subject seems to have died a death ....
marianne

Post by marianne »

Well, I finally found out what has happened to the old police section house located behind the police station in Dartmouth Road. It's a 120 room hostel for the homeless!

http://miriamlodge.com/miriam.swf

I live opposite and was never consulted or saw anything about planning permission - did anyone else know of the proposals? Anyway, it appears to be up and running and quite plush for a hostel!
marianne

Post by marianne »

Even nicer photos of Miriam Lodge - I might move in myself!

http://www.miriamlodge.com/home.html
stuart

Post by stuart »

marianne wrote:I live opposite and was never consulted or saw anything about planning permission - did anyone else know of the proposals? Anyway, it appears to be up and running and quite plush for a hostel!
Ahem - it has been a hostel for at least the last five years. Some of the community have been active in supporting the people unfortunate to have been placed there.

There was concern when it was originally opened that it might be unwelcome in the locality - but as AFAIK nobody seemed to have noticed or complained so I guess that bit was a success.

Stuart
marianne

Post by marianne »

Ahem - so why all the fuss in earlier posts about the change of name and building work being carried out? I know it was once used as a hostel for asylum seekers but haven't seen any of them for absolutely ages. :roll:
leaf

Post by leaf »

marianne wrote:Even nicer photos of Miriam Lodge - I might move in myself!

http://www.miriamlodge.com/home.html
Do you seriously have no idea about homelessness? :roll:
marianne

Post by marianne »

Of course I do! I'm just making a point that it looks lovely - it has been refurbished to a very high spec.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

So that's another bit of London's history down the pan........ the section house was named after a police officer who was killed on duty. Now the memory of this officer will be lost forever and we are left with a name that means nothing!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Or perhaps not ...

Everything here is archived in several places with no end date with both public and private access. Not a single instance on a plaque in Dartmouth Road but something searchable worldwide for possibly all time. You can add what you know to expand the record. Google will be his friend.

I guess, like others, I would like to know why and how an officer gave his life serving the community. Over to those that know.

Admin
leaf

Post by leaf »

"1989 PC Paul Maurice Breen
Killed while navigator in an army ambulance, which crashed on an emergency in Camberwell"

Taken from the metropolitan police service website-history of the metropolitan police.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

WTF !
I've had a few weeks away and now Miriam lodge is getting worse. Aswell as more fixed exterior lighting and perimeter walls (which again, doesn't comply with the Planning process) there are now flashing Christmas lights over the buildings.
I would like to know where the suggestion that this is a refuge for the homeless came from. I have been inside the building and marble flooring and an internet room would seem a bit extravagant for such a use.

Also the 'garden' area has been landscaped. I wonder if any attention has been paid to the (former) trees which had preservation orders on them?

Lewisham haven't responded to my requests for information. Their silence speaks volumes.

Alib
Last edited by ALIB on 16 Nov 2007 07:17, edited 1 time in total.