The Greyhound. Does it still exist?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stone-penge

The Greyhound. Does it still exist?

Post by stone-penge »

Didn't look like it coming home from work today, I saw them removing the roof a day or so ago, now I couldn't see the gable ends or any remaining walls at all.Mind you it is all wrapped in sheeting and I was in a car so couldn't get the best of looks.It is still there though.... is it?
Search East

Re: The Greyhound. Does it still exist?

Post by Search East »

I think it's having to be part re-built due to decayed foundations and rotten roof timbers etc.

The developers couldn't just demolish the pub, as the council placed a preservation order on the original building and they would have to prove it was beyond safe repair and I'm sure an eagle eyed member of this website would have spotted it on the planning section of the council website.

Details of the work being carried out is somewhere in this thread: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7430 :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I was wondering the same thing today. I was driving past and the sun was shining through the white tarpaulins and all I could see was.... Nothing. Just scaffolding and fresh air.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

They do say they are replacing the roof and back wall. Not sure how much of old building will be left
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

rshdunlop wrote:I was wondering the same thing today. I was driving past and the sun was shining through the white tarpaulins and all I could see was.... Nothing. Just scaffolding and fresh air.
Exactly, when all you can see is sunlight and the shadows of the scaffolding poles on the white tarp and nothing else it seems obvious that the original structure doesn't exist any more.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If all has gone then the devolpers will be in hot water.Are you sure not just roof and rear wall.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You are probably right, Eagle, as we can only see the upper part of the building. But to me it looks like more than the roof has gone - at least part of the upper walls too.

fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I thought exactly the same a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe Purelake have employed that David Copperfield bloke, and when they take the screens away - ta daaaaa! no boozer.

To be honest, I think it looks daft stuck in the middle of a modern development, as well as the fact it provides a great little alleyway, to relieve oneself or skin/shoot up in.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure how Charles Dickens character enters the fray but I agree probably best to pull down now as the devolpers wanted all the time.
Despite others I do not think and Pub owner is going to be interested , but would like to be proved wrong
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Eagle wrote:Not sure how Charles Dickens character enters the fray but I agree probably best to pull down now as the devolpers wanted all the time.
Despite others I do not think and Pub owner is going to be interested , but would like to be proved wrong
It really annoys me to have to agree, but i'm thinking little can be done now.
A pokey building (A pub of historical interest, but the older bits have already been demolished, and the interesting bits put in storage,....somewhere) which is over-shadowed by a modern development.

This really needs to be investigated as to how this situation has happened, and those responsible , held to account.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Eagle wrote:If all has gone then the devolpers will be in hot water.Are you sure not just roof and rear wall.
The developers could simply state that the restoration works uncovered serious structural issues that meant further demolition work had to be undertaken etc. produce an engineers report to back it up and then argue the the preservation order is no longer valid as what was preserved is no longer there and thatthe costs of an now extensive rebuild are unreasonable. Hey presto no albatross, sorry Greyhound round their necks...
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

More 'luxury' apartments anyone?

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Why are you so negative about the Greyhound? Let's just see what happens. Councillor Best has been very proactive in defining what is to be done with the pub - the fact that the roof is being replaced and the back wall is being re-built. Crikey, Purelake are even running a competition to design a mural for the new wall.

Lets put our energy into getting something the community wants there. There are some active people on this forum doing just that:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120

Cheers

G-Man
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Not negative, worried. Developers do have a record of promising to renovate then finding an excuse to demolish. More than one if us is concerned about the current state of the building - is it not valid to raise that as a concern? Or do we just let them carry on and hope there is a building left for the mural to go on? Surely voicing public concern now means that there is more likely to be a building left standing, which is what we all want.

It's different to expresssing negativity about the commercial potential of the finished building, which is what is happening on the other thread.

fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Not sure how Charles Dickens character enters the fray
David Copperfield, magician, makes big things disappear - Statue of Liberty, stuff like that.
coll

Post by coll »

It seems as if it is becoming a very open fact that this building is being systematically dismantled, along with the hope of a pub being reinstated there, right before our eyes. I wonder where C. Best and her posse are?
Sydenhamite

Post by Sydenhamite »

Dare I ask what is happening with the shops around the Greyhound development now - some of the scafolding appears to have come down but it all still looks a bit tatty? Do we know what is going to be in there or have those discussions led to a disappointing end result as well? On another note, does anyone know what is happening with Antic's plans to open another pub in Sydenham - is this all hot air or is it actually happening?
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

rshdunlop wrote:Not negative, worried. Developers do have a record of promising to renovate then finding an excuse to demolish. More than one if us is concerned about the current state of the building - is it not valid to raise that as a concern? Or do we just let them carry on and hope there is a building left for the mural to go on? Surely voicing public concern now means that there is more likely to be a building left standing, which is what we all want.

It's different to expresssing negativity about the commercial potential of the finished building, which is what is happening on the other thread.

Point taken squire. :)

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Mrs D you are not being negative just realistic. It would be great if we are wrong and a reputable pub owner takes over the building , but I regretably have many doubts.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

G-Man wrote: Point taken squire. :)

G-Man
Not squire, Lady of the Manor.