The Dolphin

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
leaf

Post by leaf »

sorry sarahc
that was a reference to the poll about upper/lower sydenham

must say though historically [and in my opinion] lower sydenham has always been the rougher end.

it was also a jab at the snobby tone of this thread anyway!!
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

so the Wells Park Estate is elite?
leaf

Post by leaf »

no the wells park estate is by no means elite,but im sure if you live in and know sydenham them you will know that upper sydenham has always been regarded as the better end,the gasworks are in lower sydenham and the gasworks end of town has always been regarded as the rough end[in general not just syd]

do you know the hazel grove estate? and the one by home park?
classy eh!
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Thanks for the apology Leaf.

Many, many moons ago, Lower Sydenham was the 'working class' end and Upper Sydenham was where most of the toffs lived. I would like to think that nowadays it didn't matter where people lived, as long as they are good hard working honest people. I'm sure there are people that live in Hazel Grove that would love to be in the position of owning a nice house in a nice road and I'm also sure that there are a few that don't care either way.

There seems to be a lot of sniping on this forum of late and it's a shame.

sarahc

PS As my good old Dad says "Anyone who gets up and goes to work every day is working class". That's goes for all walks of life and all professions. Be it Brain Surgeon or Bin Man, the majority of us are the same (ie, work to live).
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

I live off Mayow Road, which is Lower Sydenham I suppose, and can't imagine anything better than having a pub that does decent food within walking distance. Older pubs have their place and I wouldn't like to see it affect the Golden Lion or Price Alfred's trade but I can't imagine they would be going for the same market anyway.

It is also right on the doorstep of the Thorpes and I certainly wouldn't say that was a sh**ty area.

I don't think it could have anything other than a lifting effect on the area.

They managed with some of the rougher pubs on Lordship Lane so I'm sure whoever took it over could manage it in Sydenham, Lower or otherwise.
leaf

Post by leaf »

ok

i have to say before everyone starts really having a go at me,i am by no means a snob!

i was simply taking a swipe at the other snobby posters,which if you look at my other posts you will see is true.

sarahc,i agree with you about horrid posts on this forum,im new to it and ive noticed this too,i even posted a comment regarding this on another thread[not sure which].

i am working class myself,and live in a council flat!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

sarahc wrote:Excuse me!!! The lower end of Sydenham is not sh**ty and I wish you wouldn't say things like that. :cry:
I ofter hear about lower, middle, upper Sydenham but could someone tell me where officially or in their opinion the dividing lines are?
If you take the stations, Lower Sydenham, Sydenham and Sydenham Hill (the later in my opinion not it Sydenham) could these be 'your ' different sectors :roll:
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Not sure if the different sectors are official. I would say that anything in the vicinity of the old gas works is Lower Sydenham (and years ago that was the 'poor' working class end), anything around and about Somerfields (both sides of the high street included) is Middle Sydenham and anything past the mini roundabout at the top is Upper Sydenham. I am probably talking a lot of old tosh but that's how I would define it. NOT THAT IT MATTERS!!!
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

It's not snobby or middle-class to want a nice pub in an area you live in. Sydenham is not as bad as some posts make out - i've lived in loads of different areas in London and most are a mixture of so-called 'dodgy' and 'nice' areas.... Sydenham is a good mix of different types of people.
I reckon if you asked all the drinking residents of Sydenham if they would like to improve the drinking/eating establishments of the area they would. In East Dulwich you get a variety of drinkers in the 'gastro pubs' and bars afterall. A few years ago it wasn't disimilar to Sydenham....
Murfmullet

Post by Murfmullet »

Alfred is the best pub in the area, but I'm biased at it's my local.

It has the following qualities

1) Quite and boring. No mental stimualation.

2) Pissy Carlsberg at 2.70 a pint.

3) Great touch screen jukebox, arguably the most technologically devloped piece of equipment ever to grace Sydenham (After the post box).

And there is lots more.

Lion is nice for Sunday lunch or a quite drink with someone, but otherwise often empty/ boring and pricey for the area.

Dolphin is either lifeliess or full of what seem like trouble makers. Also I always get the feeling everyones coked out their eyeballs (Not that some people in most pubs arent).

The Bell is trouble.

Two halves used to be boring.

The Railway is boring, although as of the beginning of the last football season was the only pub showing pay per view Sky football in the area (Other nearest was the fox and hounds and that is the roughest pub in Sydenham)

The Greyhound is ok in the daytime (Bar the Chavs that make one drink last 5 hours) but gets full of trouble and drugs in the evening, not a nice atmosphere.

So all in all if you want a local in Sydenham it's not gonna be somewhere your going to want to take friends or family from outside of the area, but if you have friends in Sydenham pick the one that suits you and get on with it, maybe if the cultured people that write on this board popualte our pubs you might drag them up a bit...

Thanks, that went on!

Sean