Kirkdale - advice for prospective buyer??

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
natbeuk

Kirkdale - advice for prospective buyer??

Post by natbeuk »

Hi :)

I've just seen what seems to be a great flat on Kirkdale (buying, not renting), but I know next to nothing about the area. Before I put in an offer, is anyone able to tell me a bit about what it would be like for a 30 year old single woman to live there, and also does anyone have an idea of what a reasonable price is for a 1 bed flat in the area?

Thanks a million!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi, I haven't looked in Kirkdale specifically, but I am looking to buy in Sydenham (currently live in Brockley). I never thought much of it before coming here by accident. Despite the high street it's got a great atmosphere, amazing parks, good transport link and it has a bit of a village atmosphere which I am sure will improve over time. People seem friendly here and there is a nice atmosphere. That's why I want to move to Sydenham (and I have done a lot of research on the area).

On the local market, prices seem to be dropping a bit as a lot of places have been overvalued and some places are being reduced, but they stick out like a sore thumb. It's definately a hot spot and will be a good investment as it gets discovered.

Go for it and good luck.

Hope that helps..a bit!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

That does help, thanks very much!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Kirkdale is a good location. Close to the station and High Street. Also close to Forest Hill and just over the hill to Dulwich.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Thanks Jules.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

I'm also trying to buy a 1 bed flat in the area. I have found that 1 beds go from 170,000 to about 220,000.

I currently live in North London but have friends in Sydenham and I'm hoping it turns out to be a good neighbourhood to call home :)

Let me know how you get on please
The Eagle

Re: Kirkdale - advice for prospective buyer??

Post by The Eagle »

natbeuk wrote:Hi :)

I've just seen what seems to be a great flat on Kirkdale (buying, not renting), but I know next to nothing about the area.

Thanks a million!
Very long road Kirkdale; if I recall it starts from the brow of the hill by the roundabout where it meets Sydenham Hill, then goes down the hill past Cobbs Corner past that new cafe (can't think of the name of it :lol: :lol: )to the railway bridge.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

mysti77 wrote:I'm also trying to buy a 1 bed flat in the area. I have found that 1 beds go from 170,000 to about 220,000.

I currently live in North London but have friends in Sydenham and I'm hoping it turns out to be a good neighbourhood to call home :)

I will do. I'm going for a second viewing at a property tonight so fingers crossed!

Have you got any properties lined up to view at the moment?
natbeuk

Re: Kirkdale - advice for prospective buyer??

Post by natbeuk »

The Eagle wrote:
natbeuk wrote:Hi :)

I've just seen what seems to be a great flat on Kirkdale (buying, not renting), but I know next to nothing about the area.

Thanks a million!
Very long road Kirkdale; if I recall it starts from the brow of the hill by the roundabout where it meets Sydenham Hill, then goes down the hill past Cobbs Corner past that new cafe (can't think of the name of it :lol: :lol: )to the railway bridge.
Ah yes... I think I've seen some chat on here about a new cafe :)
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

mysti77 wrote:I'm also trying to buy a 1 bed flat in the area. I have found that 1 beds go from 170,000 to about 220,000.

Well, I've put in an offer and had it accepted - yay! I realise there is still a long road ahead of me and won't be getting too excited until I'm holding the keys in my hand, but at least I have taken the first step towards being a Sydenham resident :)
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

I've also had an offer accepted. I wonder how long the whole process takes!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It depends on yoru solicitor and if there is a chain. Leaseholds can be tricky and all sorts of factors come into play. PErsonally I woul dget a valuation survey and if there are any special issues like the roof looks like it may be sagging, get a special roofing report. Full surveys dont really tell you much as they have to cover themsleves legally so they say things like 'you may want to get the roof looked at due to some water staining'.

Get a good solicitor. Make sure you get them to explain the lease to you as many have clauses in them such as it must be carpeted, you cant have lodgers etc.

Expect it to take between 3-4 months. Sometimes a bit sorter, sometimes much longer!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

mysti77 wrote:I've also had an offer accepted. I wonder how long the whole process takes!
Yay, congrats! Here's hoping that we both have no complications and get all sorted ASAP :)

I think it's really hard to predict how long it will take, it depends on the property, the vendor, and more than a little bit of luck....
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Great your moving into area. I live just off Kirkdale in Halifax St. Most of the road is ok, although the area around the shops could do with a little tidying up, alhtough the owners are friendly; Rams is good for everyday stuff, and does fresh bread every day and croissants. great for a sunday with the paper. Middle part of Wells Park is'nt great, lots of problems there, but thats London for you..you take the rough with the smooth. The park is really nice, and also the woodlands over off Sydenham Hill are worth a trip, and you can end up in the Dulwich Wood tavern. Its also good for buses going to West End (sometimes easier than trains by the time you've walked to station and changed etc), Dulwich and Crystal Palace.