Rail incident this morning at Penge East

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Julsb

Rail incident this morning at Penge East

Post by Julsb »

Does anyone know what's happened this morning? I was on a train that got stuck at the station after the current to the track was cut, and saw the air ambulance land next to the station. One of the station staff members came round to each of the carriages and told everyone that the station was being closed & cleared. As I left, I realised that Penge East was crawling with police and another ambulance was just pulling up.

It looks like something terrible has happened to someone.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Well, looks like the answer is on the National Rail website:

Summary: Fatality in the Kent House area
Time reported: 09:09
TOC(s) affected: South Eastern Trains, Gatwick Express, Southern
Route affected: All services to/from London Victoria
Description: Due to a fatality in the Kent House area, all services to/from London Victoria are subject to alterations, cancellations and delays

Sad news.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quote from British Transport Police

"A man was hit by a train at 08:50 this morning and has passed away. We can confirm that there is nothing suspicious about this event"
thebackster

Post by thebackster »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what has happened to the station at Penge West? It looks like a bomb has hit the place and the last time I was there it was closed and cover in Police tape...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Evening all

There are quite a few jumpers at Kent House, the Eurostars seem to go at quite a speed through that part of the world (well not as fast as the Kent -> Paris streach) the big platforms also seem to aid these people in their quest.

Penge West was hit recently by a 'fire' in the booking hall/office, I'm not sure if this was arson or accidental. But the lights, ticket machines and real-time train information boards on the London bound platform were all affected. I think the station is really on its knees, the only machine they have there in operation is a 'permit to travel' machine.

Hope this helps