POLICE APPEAL:Thorpewood Avenue attempted abduction of girl

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

POLICE APPEAL:Thorpewood Avenue attempted abduction of girl

Post by maestro »

Very concerning, please be aware if you have young children and I hope the person responsible is found very quickly.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/po ... 82561.html
admin
Site Admin

Re: Thorpewood Avenue - attempted abduction of girl

Post by admin »

The Met Police have asked us to publish this:

----------------------

Police continue to appeal for information following an attempted abduction at Thorpewood Avenue, Sydenham, SE26 on Tuesday 5 February at approximately 08:30hrs.

A nine-year-old girl was on her way to school when she was approached bya man who attempted to get her into a nearby vehicle.

The suspect is described as white, 20-40 years of age, of medium build and wearing a green padded coat, blue jeans and black cap.

The vehicle is described as a large blue vehicle with a large scratch on the bonnet.

Officers from Lewisham carry out daily school patrols and in light of this recent incident they have increased the number of patrols in the

area providing a visible presence to address any community concerns.

Chief Superintendent Russell Nyman, Lewisham Borough Commander, said: "I understand that the community will be concerned about this recent incident and I want to reassure parents and carers that we are treating this extremely seriously. Officers are working hard to identify the suspect wanted in connection with this attempted abduction and enquiries into this incident continue.

"We have increased engagement with primary schools in the borough.

"I am appealing to the community to come forward and assist us, with any information, no matter how small that may be, that will help us with this investigation. Incidents such as this are very rare, but when they do occur we treat them very seriously."

Detective Chief Inspector Greg Pople of Lewisham Borough said: "Whilst we do not wish to cause alarm amongst those in the local area I would ask the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to us.

"I would also ask parents to take the opportunity to remind their children how to stay safe and not to speak with strangers.

"We would equally encourage anyone to alert police immediately by calling 999 if they are approached."

Anyone with information can also contact Lewisham CID directly on 020 8284 8324; if you wish to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.
Micromel

Re: POLICE APPEAL:Thorpewood Avenue attempted abduction of g

Post by Micromel »

Have they arrested anyone for this yet? I know this sort of thing can happen anywhere but it's very unnerving to think he is still at large in our local area.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image