VENNER ROAD/HIGH STREET

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SIMONTREWIN

VENNER ROAD/HIGH STREET

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

I don't really understand the work that has been carried out at the junction of Venner and the High Street. The so-called market square is meant to have tree planting but doesn't and I don't understand the sunken bit of the design. As I was trying to work it out last night I almost got run over as three cars drove from Station Approach across the pavement and into Venner! Nice.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Re: VENNER ROAD/HIGH STREET

Post by Eagle »

I must admit last Tuesday morning I was surprised to see a delivery lorry parked on the lovely new pavement.

There were plenty of workers there and none asked him to move.

As for driving through to Venner Road , that is an absolute disgrace and they should be hung , drawn and quartered ( sorry to good for them )
Where are The Police , I hope not sending false e mails about Ministers. They showed a picture in the ST of the alleged offending officer. To be honest looked far to fat to be in the force. Surely they have weight and well as height restrictions.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A cracking post, Eagle - you managed to get torture, capital punishment and body fascism all into one reply about a new road layout. All my Christmases have come at once.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachel
Glad to oblige.
Reason I mentioned the weight of the officer was that I would imagine he would not be very fit. Surely an essential for a modern day officer on the beat.
How is this body fascism??? Actually never heard such a strange term before.
Have you seen the offending picture?

A very Merry and Holy Christmas to you and your family
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Simon
You raise two important questions
Firstly , where are the promised trees ? They would turn the square into a pleasant and civilised spot to hold markets and hobnob in some agreeable way.
Without the trees it is just paving or as someone has observed hard standing for cars.
Secondly , why on earth is the square not protected by bollards?
The rule in Sydenham seems to be to park on pavements ( even at risk of annoying speeding cyclists) so am not surprised to hear about cars from Station Approach driving across it. No doubt taxis and no doubt fully licenced , insured and making a real contribution to our national coffers but illegal none the less.
If you include the trees still outstanding from Impure Lake's piece of vandalism , I make that at least 10 trees we have been robbed of .
With apologies for ending my sentence with a preposition - that is how angry I am .
Good evening
Nigel

SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

There are two massive metal posts conveniently spaced so as to allow a car to drive between them. Maybe a sign will arrive one day and be installed that says 'Abandon Hope All Trees That Enter Here'.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Simon
very sad really - if trees were nail parlours we would have an ancient woodland in the hight street by now.....
Seriously, it is these little incremental things that contribute to the ugliness and unpleasantness that surrounds. I am sure there will be some very convoluted and "excusathon" comments made by more the academic contributors to this forum ( I am no doubt missing something up population density ,fried chicken economics and the yurt crisis in Mongolia) but bottom line, we were promised trees , where are they ?
Good evening
Nigel
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

This is what you're missing, Nigel - The solution for High Streets like Sydenham :wink: . Of course I appreciate that nothing like this is going to happen in the foreseeable future, so I share your frustration. When the Sydenham Road improvements scheme was being petitioned and counter-petitioned about, I tried to work out how the renting out of space in the pocket parks would work, hoping that there would be some entity with a real interest in making a go of them. I seem to remember getting as far as a section of Lewisham Council called street licencing, but it didn't seem to be very entrepreneurial. Around the same time I had various conversations with local traders who seemed pretty sceptical about the pocket parks as well.

It's easy to bemoan the general failures to communicate, but wanting to understand why is the background to what may seem to you like a flight to abstraction, such as the link I gave above.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tim
This must sound touchingly simplistic to someone of your vision and strategic compass but I just want four whitebeams and a few bollards .
Oh, and maybe a bench.
Good morning
Nigel

gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I'd rather see a few trees than bollards and benches.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

gerispringer wrote:I'd rather see a few trees than bollards and benches.

I believe Nigel mentioned whitebeams:

http://www.british-trees.com/treeguide/ ... 0000003448

gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Yes but I'd rather it was just trees. You wouldn't need the bollards if you had the trees strategically placed. And benches have been tried before in the high street to ill effect unfortunately.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote:Tim
This must sound touchingly simplistic to someone of your vision and strategic compass but I just want four whitebeams and a few bollards .
Oh, and maybe a bench.
Good morning
Nigel

I'd just like there to be someone who'll look after whatever does go there. Is that too simple a request?
SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

I gather they are installing a sunken garden, some fountains and a statue of Nigel Farage at the end of Venner Road.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You jest Simon.

Do not think we want a statue of Mr F , or any other current politician.

Maybe Sir Steve B as duly elected leader of the good people of Lewisham.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Maybe Kente could have some tables and chairs under the trees.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Kente , by far the best Coffee Shop in Sydenham , would be great to have tables on Sydenham Plaza.

George would make it the high point of the road.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

gerispringer wrote:Maybe Kente could have some tables and chairs under the trees.

I would absolutely love this :D Please make it happen!
SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

I am happy to pay for a bench but I imagine the red tape to get it installed would be OFF THE SCALE.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Eagle wrote:You jest Simon.

Do not think we want a statue of Mr F , or any other current politician.

Maybe Sir Steve B as duly elected leader of the good people of Lewisham.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha