How do you Sydenhammers enjoy yourself

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
biscuitman1978

Re: How do you Sydenhammers enjoy yourself

Post by biscuitman1978 »

NorthernIrelandSydenham wrote:There is zero sense of community down Sydenham main street and I have to say that most of the shop are rubbish.
I don't agree that there is no sense of community on the 'main street'. I've been here for about five years and several shop owners know me by sight (Smart Chaps barber and Sugahill cafe to name but two) and even by name in the case of Palace Dry Cleaners.

I accept that some of the shops are rubbish, but there are a certainly a few gems, and one or two that could be gems were it not for the unfriendly service.

As for community more generally, it's true that you shouldn't expect a cheery smile and wave from everyone you pass on the high street, but the existence of the Sydenham Society, the arts festival, Friends of Home Park and a host of other organisations are good examples of the way people join together in Sydenham. And other, more informal stuff happens too: the five-a-side football has been going for more than 18 months now, and new players (male or female) are always welcome, just as long as you're 18+ and can kick a ball (although bearing in mind the way I play sometimes I guess that's not actually a prerequisite). Head over to the Sports Centre Forum for more info.
NorthernIrelandSydenham wrote:Did someone say there was a chippy here? as in a real fish & chip shop?
Yes, just a few doors down from the Dolphin. Only been a couple of times, but it's pretty good.
JRobinson wrote:NIS - if you fancy a pint and a chat sometime, just put a thread up on here somewhere, I'm up for a social kind of event, to get to know local people (we only moved to Sydenham in May).
Good idea. I did this when I first moved to Sydenham. I simply named a date, a time and a place, and hey presto several people turned up and joined me for a drink in the Dolphin!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

every time I seem to suggest a new social the idea falls a little flat with not much in the way of interest :(

I'm always up for a beer (or five) though.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

an acquaintance of mine had an idea for a local social event, so he emailed all his contacts who lived within London, and started 'Forest Hill Boys Night Out' - once a month, a group of men meet up in a Forest Hill pub. It's happening this Thursday somewhere (can't remember where at the mo), usually at All Inn One, sometimes at Blythe Hill Tavern, and we also thought that with the new East London Line, we could venture to some places near to ELL stations (Like the Hobgoblin in New Cross Gate) - Not sydenham I know, but close, and a similar idea.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

JRobinson wrote:NIS - if you fancy a pint and a chat sometime, just put a thread up on here somewhere, I'm up for a social kind of event....
Rumour has it that there are occasional gatherings of regulars from this very forum at watering holes in the area....some have a copy of the FT with them, some drink purple beer, and some have even been known to play chess....
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

The rumour is true, and I'm quite up for a game of chess, but not for five pints of beer, especially if purple. I tried a mouthful of that sort of thing in Brussels once and it was horrible ..

Nothing personal, Bensonby!
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Shameless chess plug

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4834

My PM inbox stands ready to receive challenges :)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

The highlight of my chess career was something over thirty years ago, when Jon Speelman personally complimented me on my decision to resign a game - after just seven moves :D
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Tim Lund wrote:The highlight of my chess career was something over thirty years ago, when Jon Speelman personally complimented me on my decision to resign a game - after just seven moves :D
If I played Jon Speelman I would have resigned a lot earlier than that.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Hi Bertie

Not sure if you're interested in either BRIDGE or SALSA DANCING (or both?), but the Tudor Livesey Memorial Hall (known as "The Livesey") runs these clubs/classes just a short walk from Sydenham High Street towards the Sainsburys Savacentre (or in that direction). Contact the Livesey for details of the Bridge club. Salsa classes are on Thursday evenings 8pm. The Livesey Hall is located at:-

Address: Perry Hill, London, SE6 4HD
Telephone: 020 86997274

Walk down Sydenham high Street towards Bell Green (in the direction of the massive Sainsburys SAvacentre) and follow the main road round the bend to your left. The Livesey is the beautiful old hall in front of the gas works.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I enjoy myself by walking around making photographs of the place.

I just posted some new material at
http://sydenhamshots.blogspot.com

More again soon.

Paul Treacy