London Road (Forest Hill) being pedestrianised?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

London Road (Forest Hill) being pedestrianised?

Post by Likelife »

Now I don't know if your aware but I was reading the S London Press and I found that the MP for the Forest Hill ward (which includes Upper Sydenham) wants London Road/South Circular through Forest Hill pedestrianised. Now I think this is silly for a number of reasons:
Traffic would be diverted onto Dartmouth Road, Kirkdale and Sydenham Hill
A large number of primary school children walk down overcrowded pavements on Kirkdale at around 3pm making a accident likely to happen
There isn't enough shops on London Road for it to be needed to be pedestrianised
House prices may be reduced along the diverted route

But that's my opinion what do you think?
georgemichael

Re: London Road (Forest Hill) being pedestrianised?

Post by georgemichael »

Yup, I saw this in Friday's edition. Couldn't believe it - I think Alex Feakes has been mis-quoted, as he seems like a level-headed guy. It refers to the Forest Hill Society having a pic-nic when it shut this summer. It was a success - let's do it again. Really? sit on a road and eat food in front of diggers and a collapsed sewer, I can think of better places to go which are lovely and green!
michael

Post by michael »

What I would like to see is London Road closed for one Sunday a year, coinciding with Forest Hill Day (and the Sydenham Arts Festival). Rather than sewage pipes and bulldozers it would be nice to have music, food, and street theatre. This would allow for pedestrians to walk from the station to the Horniman Gardens and encourage people to park at Perry Vale car park to come to Forest Hill Day and encourage people to use the local shops as well.
Alex Feakes

Post by Alex Feakes »

I haven't seen the article yet, but it doesn't sound like something I would recommend. I have heard people talk about pedestrianizing the London Road end of Dartmouth Road to give the town centre a 'shopping precinct', but I don't think it's got very far.

When I see the article, I'll comment further...
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

It sounds like. Very unlikely proposal. However, surely anything that reduces house prices would be a good thing?!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Alex Feakes

Post by Alex Feakes »

I've seen the article now (reprinted in the Mercury) - it's Jim Dowd quoted and not me.