Schools used at Polling Station

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

Schools used at Polling Station

Post by lbere »

Why are schools used as polling stations. My sons school will be shut on Thursday as it is being used as a polling station. Why cant community centres, church halls etc be used?

We both work so one of us has to take Thursday off to look after our son. So our work suffers and our son suffers as he has to miss a day off school (not that he is worried!!!!)

It just seems so silly, when othe venues could be used.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yep, planned a day of bowling and Pizza Hut with 3 x boys: 4, 5 & 6 yrs old! Mustn't forget to vote in all the excitement... :D
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

simply stated I don't think there are enough other public buildings....though I'm not sure why they are not using libraries.

Also, to save the school's closing entirely I'm not sure why they could not just use the school hall - keeping that out of action for the day - but keeping the school itself open. Probably because of security implications - all those local paedophiles having access to the premises.
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

I remember my school closing for the day to become a Polling Station, the signs being placed around the perimiter and at the gates. I remember my mum and my teachers telling me that it was for a very important reason. Later in life my son's school did the same thing and it facinated and interested him in the same way that it did me. I took him with me into his closed school when I went to place my vote and I hope he will remember that too and want to share that important responsibility with any children that he might have.

Of course it won't be an option to him if we as a nation no longer own any school buildings because they are all privately funded by businesses, churches or volunteers. :(
lbere

Post by lbere »

Im still sure that plenty other buildings apart from schools could be found to be used as polling stations. My husband is having to take tomorrow off to look after our son. Its crazy.
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »

Ibere, not sure which electroral ward you live in but it certainly won't cover a very large area.

This looks like the check list which the Council used to determine suitable venues - can you think of something more approporiate which is in your immediate vicinity and ticks all these boxes? If so then I guess you could always write to the returning officer on the matter.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/.../3f7bf1d6 ... vember2007
Raven Drone

Post by Raven Drone »