356, what's happening?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nickerbockers

356, what's happening?

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hi all, I'm sorry to ask here but I've tried emailing various people including TFL and I get no reply at all.

The bus stops at the Sydenham end of Kent House Road have had another notice added saying that 'from the 5th February the 356 will be re-directed due to works'... I actually thought they were coming to reinstate the bus stops and give our bus service back.

With traffic now coming and going at that end of Kent House Road, I just wondered if anybody knows why they're stalling giving us our bus service back. And if they're planning to EVER do so?? I would really love to know if somebody has heard??
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Am I invisible? I never get replies to my questions. :(
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

You are invisible!!! I can't see you...But I have seen your thread...
Good question.
The 356 has been on an odd diversion due to works.
Works have been disrupting area around Prince Alfred for some time now...
Hoping when works finished 'normal' service will be resumed.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

There's nothing on the TfL website regarding the 356.
alywin

Post by alywin »

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. That TFL website is pretty useless for a lot of diversions (although for once it is showing the delays/diversions on the 354 route in Penge and Beckenham, and the temporary diversion of the 197 away from Norwood Junction).

Just as long as this doesn't turn into another 194 story (many moons ago, the 194 used to run from Penge along Croydon Road and down Elmers End Road. It was diverted along Beckenham Road supposedly while the Elmers End railway bridge was reconstructed, and was never re-diverted once the works were finished, which is why Elmers End Road is still probably the only main road in the area which doesn't have a bus service running all the way down it) ...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I just rang TfL Customer relations, offering to modify the nice Google map you get when you enter 356 here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround ... fault.aspx to show where the current route goes, and suggesting they might put something up here http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... ml#bus-356 to say what was going on currently, and when the previous route might be restored.

They promised to get back to me with some response within a week ...
biscuit

Post by biscuit »

The 356 route continues to be diverted down to Fairlawn park resulting in multiple potentially lethal and deep pot holes down this road! I've observed a number of vehicles swerving to avoid these gaping pot holes merely missing the side of the pavement and other parked cars.

The tarmac is not left to harden or filled at a time when buses are not running. Hence, no sooner does the Highways department fill in these ever deepening pot holes, than a 356 comes along and drives straight into the fresh tarmac, digging it all up. Now all you see are dangerous clumps of tarmac scattered across the road. It seems this is endless with no coordination or a streamlined approach of all the works being carried out.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just registered that TfL Customer relations did not get back to me within the week - why am I not surprised? I'll ring them tomorrow - let's see what they have to say :D
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well, they do say the previous route will be resumed 19 March. But I'm not offering odds
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It looks like the potholes are being fixes in Fairlawn Park at the moment.

They were HUGE!
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Okay, well if you'd like to know the latest, I have the following email from TFL which I received on 1/3/10;

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the operational setup of service 356. I would like to apologise the inconvenience you have incurred.

I can assure you, London Buses are committed to providing a first class bus service for our customers. We understand the importance our passengers place on our services, and the need to ensure that a comfortable, convenient and reliable service is provided at all times. The Route Controllers work hard to ensure that services operate according to scheduled times. This said, delays do occur from time to time, along with changes in service as a result of factors outside our control. These are often caused by increased traffic congestion, illegal parking, roadworks and bus incidents.

I can confirm that service 356 is currently on diversion until 19 March 2010 between Kent House Lane and Bell Corner due to gas works. The route operation during this period as follows:

Course the 19th March came and went with the 356 not reinstated to it's normal route... and my next email had a reply saying it'll be til 17th April then will definitely be back to normal!! Somehow I don't like the chances... it's been six months now... it's totally ridiculous!!!
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

The route is also on diversion due to the closure of Sydenham Rise via Lordship Lane, Underhill Road and Wood Vale.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Why can't they just leave Sydenham and the surrounding areas alone! I swear there is never a time where the road isn't being dug up and diversions in place!

The 356 is back to this end of Kent House/Sydenham Road now - as of today. Just saw one pull up and leave - such a nice sight to see! At LAST! :roll: :D