To anyone in Sydenham at the moment...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lizzie

To anyone in Sydenham at the moment...

Post by lizzie »

Hello all,
Can anyone currently in Sydenham tell me what the weather conditions are at the moment? I'm at work in central London but due to go to the cinema afterwards (a preview of The Road - a fittingly cheery apocalyptic story) and am wondering if I'm being really stupid even considering it? Maybe I should be jumping on the next train home instead...

Is it chucking it down?

Liz
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

A couple of inches of snow. Has been snowing steadily all day. One side of Sydenham high street is gritted and is easy to walk down, the other not so. All side roads are a bit treacherous but as there is fresh snow its a bit easier. I think it will be worse tomorrow when it ices over tonight.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

According to my little spy on the ground, yes it is snowing but the roads should be passable (they were ok this morning, although it was a lot of fun in Crystal Palace Park!).

Check the trains:

tfl.gov.uk

Delays of up to 60 minutes.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Thanks - Southern live departure boards are 'currently unavailable'. Not a good sign.

Liz
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Started coming down in much bigger flakes now. Will deepen no doubt. Just heard from work that it's set to get worse in London tonight. Will stick the telly on in a bit and try to catch the news. I would be getting out of town if I wasnt out of town already!

Good Luck

Cx
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

The 24 from London Bridge is still sitting on the platform as I write this. Waiting for a driver apparently (presumably the driver is coming in on another train?)...

Conditions are deteriorating as the fall gets heavier.

Quite a risk you're running lizzie if the last snow-experience is anything to go by with Southern/road gritters [or lack of].
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

thanks, everyone, for the advice. in the end and took the risk, which seemed to pay off as services running fine by the time I got the 21.15 from LB. Am paying the price today though, having already fallen on the ice and wrecked my back...

Take care, people - the pavements at the lower end of Sydenham Road are absolutely lethal.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Also, to anyone going to Sydenham Station via the pathway from Silverdale: hang on to the pole, then hang on to the wall and then hang on to the railings. It really is/was not nice. Remember that for tonight! But then, once you've let go of the pole at the bottom (i.e. tonight on your return), the rest is up to you :shock:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Oh yeah....I love a bit of pole dancing first thing in the morning...work it baby!!

I'm heading over to Syd Hill station later this arvo...I hope that path near the Dulwich Woodhouse is walkable...

Cheers to Thomas for the train info by text. Nice one!
Willy

Post by Willy »

hang on to the pole, then hang on to the wall and then hang on to the railings. It really is/was not nice
I was following a guy from the station last night down here and he went a**e over t*t right next to the pole, obviously I laughed but I'd just like to thank him for inadvertantly warning me of the danger! :lol:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks to whoever it was, but the pathway has now been cleared - relief :D
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The path down from the Dulwich Wood House to Sydenham Hill station is very well gritted and has a narrow part snow-free, so quite straightforward to walk to the station. A revised timetable is in operation (trains every half hour) - mine was very busy this morning, but yesterday they were next to impossible to get on.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I can't speak for Sydenham, but it's now snowing steadily in Anerley (NB: check your time settings - I posted that at about 1 pm. Sun is now out again and flakes have gone very wispy)