Forthcoming Southern engineering work affecting Syd

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Barty

Forthcoming Southern engineering work affecting Syd

Post by Barty »

Following on from this thread over in the Cafe http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 9a1c23b502 here's some info on Southern's services

Sunday 22nd March Engineering work between London Bridge and Norwood Junction. This will probably mean replacement buses all stations.

Sunday 5th April Engineering work between Sydenham and Norwood Junction. Sounds like you'll be okay between Syd and London Bridge / Charing X, but affected if you're going south.

Easter A Sunday service will operate on Good Friday and Easter Monday.

Check back here nearer the time - Southern's website warns that these plans can change at short notice, and I will post updates here if I find out that anything does. I will also go into more detail closer to the time.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Engineering Work today, Saturday 21st
Services from Sydenham into London Bridge and also round the other way into Victoria are as normal. Services from Sydenham to Caterham via East Croydon are as normal. Services from Sydenham to Sutton terminate at Norwood Junction, replacement buses from Norwood Junction.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sunday 5th April
The aforementioned engineering work between Sydenham and Norwood Junction, which is still shown on the Southern website, has been cancelled.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Don't forget, ladies and gents, Sunday Service on Southern tomorrow and Monday.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Saturday 18th April
Sydenham to Victoria services and vice versa are diverted via East Croydon, calling at Clapham Junction only. For Crystal Palace, Gipsy Hill, West Norwood, Streatham Hill, Balham, Wandsworth Common and Battersea Park, change at Norwood Junction.

Sunday 19th April
Sydenham to Sutton services and vice versa will terminate at West Croydon. Replacement buses from there to Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches and Sutton.

Further ahead - Check here nearer the time.
Sat 25th April - Engineering work between Syd and Crystal Palace in that direction only.
Sunday 3rd May - Engineering work between London Bridge and Norwood Junction. Details to follow. Probably replacement buses.
Sunday 10th May - Norwood Junction - Sutton replacement buses.

http://www.southernrailway.com/live_running.php

Please remember, as per thread title, I am only summarising here engineering work affecting services calling at Sydenham station. For the other Sydenham stations or for other parts of the Southern railway network check out the usual suspects - Southern's website, National Rail website, or call 08457 48 49 50
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post these updates, Barty. -------> "Thanks" :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And thanks from me. I'm planning to take my bike on the 08:30 to Caterham this Sunday!

Did I ever mentioned how pleasantly surprised I was to discover the special bicycle 'tethering' facility now built in to one carriage of a four car set? Nice to be nice about Southern!

Admin
Barty

Post by Barty »

Thanks for the thanks!!!

Admin - yes I too am pleasantly surprised at the lack of hassle I am getting at the moment - both at work and on here! After a disastrous Feb with weather and fatalities, it is nice to see things going well!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Barty wrote: Sunday 19th April
Sydenham to Sutton services and vice versa will terminate at West Croydon. Replacement buses from there to Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches and Sutton.
I thought they didn't do trains all the way to sutton on Sundays anyway?

Thanks for this thread Barty. Its nice to see that decent viable alternatives are available on most of these occasions...
Barty

Post by Barty »

You are right.

How embarassing!

A journey from Sydenham to Sutton this Sunday will require the usual change of train at Norwood Junction and then a replacement bus from West Croydon.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Not sure if this has been raised already but Southern have announced that you can apply for a refund now rather than wait till the end of the year.

One thing I'm not sure about though is whether the refund is only for Southern Season Tickets or whether I can claim anything back on my Travelcard 1-3 Season Ticket - Anyone know? - Barty, anyone, anyone, Barty?!? :shock: :D

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=646
Barty

Post by Barty »

Barty

Post by Barty »

Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd May

No trains at Sydenham

Buses replace trains in both directions.

Replacement buses in operation for all stations to London Bridge.

Replacement buses Sydenham to West Croydon.
EDIT - These replacement buses call at Crystal Palace, Anerley, Norwood Junction, Selhurst and West Croydon.
Passengers for London Bridge might find it easier to take the replacement bus to Crystal Palace, where you can catch a direct train to London Bridge or Victoria.

For East Croydon, change at Norwood Junction.

Bank Holiday Monday 4th May
Southern are operating a Sunday service
Last edited by Barty on 28 Apr 2009 13:01, edited 3 times in total.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Bugger! :x (But thanks for the early warning, Barty).

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to get to Waterloo this Sat'dee? Should I try out Lower Syd (or Upper Syd - I'm on Kirkdale) or risk it on the 176? Or is Catford my best bet? - or Lewisham?!? :shock:
noangel

Post by noangel »

Fabulous :roll: I saw the announcement roll pass on the platform board this morning. Just what I needed on this busy Bank Holiday weekend. Never mind I have a couple of good books to keep me amused during my lengthy bus journeys on both days, plus a stock of extra strong coffee for the early mornings.

Thanks Barty for posting these updates. I find them most helpful.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Gaz and noangel, see my edited post above - the replacement bus to West Croydon calls at Crystal palace, where trains to Victoria or London Bridge run from.
noangel

Post by noangel »

Fabulous, and I mean it this time. Crystal Palace is within reasonable walking distance from where I live so thank you very much for letting me know.

You're the best Barty :wink:
Barty

Post by Barty »

:oops: <blush> thanks guys :D

You'll all have to get by without me next week, I am off to Cornwall!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Saturday 16th May
Services between Sydenham and Victoria will not run. Change at Norwood Junction for stations between Crystal Palace and London Victoria.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Just a little comment to bring this back to the top as a reminder, as I posted it quite early in the week.

BTW, no engineering work affects Sydenham on Sunday.