Southern Trains Refunds

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Barty

Southern Trains Refunds

Post by Barty »

Southern have announced that refunds are avilable for people who were unable to travel or experienced delays on the 2nd and 3rd because of the weather.

Full details on their website.

http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=646
oin

Post by oin »

Thanks Barty - much appreciated. Every few quid helps!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Thanks Barty - what about those of us with Oyster travel cards?
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hi Barty, this is great, thanks. Can I just ask is 'Pro No:' for us to fill in or Southern? If it's for us, what is it? :?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I trust that only those who made the effort and actually went to the station will apply. I am sure that will be the case as The British are a very honest nation.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Eagle wrote:I trust that only those who made the effort and actually went to the station will apply. I am sure that will be the case as The British are a very honest nation.
why should that be the case? Why shouldn't people who decided not to go to the station because they saw that trains weren't running by looking on the internet, watching the TV, or listening to the radio, not apply for a refund?
M&P

Post by M&P »

how do those of us with oyster cards get a refund ?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

M&P wrote:how do those of us with oyster cards get a refund ?
you can't use oyster cards on Southern Trains can you?
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Barty, thank you so very much for this :D x
Barty

Post by Barty »

Chazza and M&P, Bensonby is right, Oyster cannot be used on Southern services in this area (only Southern trains are between Clapham Junction and Watford), so if you want to look into Oyster refunds you'll need to check out TfL

http://www.southernrailway.com/content/ ... 261107.pdf
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

quote]why should that be the case? Why shouldn't people who decided not to go to the station because they saw that trains weren't running by looking on the internet, watching the TV, or listening to the radio, not apply for a refund?[/quote]

I completely agree, I agonised about whether I could get in, and just coz I didn't leave the house to go and wait for non-existant buses to get me to the station doesn't mean I shouldn't claim. It's not about who got coldest, it's about who couldn't get to work purely because of the snow! :roll:
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Barty... the Pro No:???? Could you let me know whether I fill this in please and what it is??? :oops:
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

this oyster card thing is complete bullshit.

it really **** annoys me.
M&P

Post by M&P »

Sorry my fault for being confusing, I have a oyster card but it's an annual season ticket so can be used on southern, tube website says .... we do not accept responsibility for delays on DLR, Buses, Tramlink or National Rail so I guess you can't get a refund.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Nickerbockers, I've left that PRO No: box blank - probably short for something or other for their records...
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sorry Nickerbockers, didn't get a chance to reply before, was posting from work earlier.

Nobody I asked knew what it stood for either! It does say on other bits of the form "To be completed by applicant" whereas that bit didn't. So yeah, I'd say leave it blank. Or just check with the ticket office staff, they do usually deal with ticket refunds (not these though) so they will know for sure.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Barty wrote:Oyster cannot be used on Southern services in this area
I don't understand - my girlfriend has an annual Oyster travelcard (zones 1-3) and merrily swipes through the barriers at Sydenham every morning.

I understand that Oyster pay-as-you-go can't be used from Sydenham, but nobody would claim a refund for that - if you don't go, you can't pay!

I'll check out TfL, thanks.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

this oyster card thing is complete bullshit.

it really **** annoys me.
(Dunno what that's gonna come out like - not quoted before :oops: )

Anyway, was going to say - you can't beat a good ol' fashioned TRAVELCARD - they're the best - may track me when I stick it in the slot at Sydders - and then again at London Bridge - then I'm gone till I return in the eveninks :twisted:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Chazza wrote:
Barty wrote:Oyster cannot be used on Southern services in this area
I don't understand - my girlfriend has an annual Oyster travelcard (zones 1-3) and merrily swipes through the barriers at Sydenham every morning.

I understand that Oyster pay-as-you-go can't be used from Sydenham, but nobody would claim a refund for that - if you don't go, you can't pay!

I'll check out TfL, thanks.
I think I'm having a STOOPID day!!!! That's from spending all week organising all the announcements and notices for all the engineering works affecting Southern this weekend!

Yes, pay as you go can't be used. Travelcards can of course. Which leads to the question, what about Oyster travelcard users?

Southern season ticket holders can get two extra days added to their tickets when they renew. The problem, I think, with Travelcards, is that little bits from your Travelcard fare get passed to all the different companies that provide services in the Travelcard zones.....TfL, Southern, and all the other train operators.

So they will all say "You're not refunding the punters any of my little piece of the cash, cos all our services were running."

Stinks, dunnit :(
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Unlucky for me - my season ticket (bought at Sydenham) ran out on Wednesday and was binned immediately on Thursday morning. So it seems I can't claim for the two days as I won't be able to attach a copy of the ticket.

Never mind - maybe I'll remember to keep these things next time it snows.