Icy roads

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Icy roads

Post by Robin Orton »

Our hilly cul-de-sac was gritted - not at all effectively- on Sunday evening and much of it has been a sheet of ice since Monday morning. It remains extremely difficult to negotiate in a car - in fact, I personally have wimped out and left the car in the driveway. Can anyone offer any hope that Lewisham will get round to re-gritting us in the forseeable future? (I can't face the prospect of trying to ring them to ask.)
Barty

Post by Barty »

Given that Lewisham could not organise gritting major routeswhen this was all kicking off, I would not hold out any hope of them doing anything now that its beginning to melt.
simono

Post by simono »

Hey, do you know what I spent the last hour doing? - clearing a path along Peak Hill Gardens so that I and the commuters don't kill themselves. Sorry but I only cleared from my house to Spring Hill (a neighbour also did a short section) out of pure self interest, as I walk that way in the morning, but should I really have to do this? I thought PHG was supposed to be a main access route to the station. Well clearly the Council don't see it as important!

I hope I haven't damaged the new pavement but if Lewisham promise not to sue me I won't sue them for the fact I badly hurt my shoulder falling over on the pavement down to the station (again somewhere I would have hoped they would have prioritised their gritting) despite wearing heavy duty walking boots and taking particualr care as I knew there would be a problem.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Well done Simono - good work! :)

It was interesting going about London today, seeing who had salted/brushed the areas in front of their houses/shops/offices. Kirkdale was pretty bad coming back tonight - my unslippy boots were slipping in the compacted ice...

Don't suppose you had time to de-ice the lock on the side-gate at the station did ya?! :twisted:

Gaz
ps - Seriously though, hope your shoulder doesn't give you too much jip following your fall.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Surprised Kirkdale hasn't been done as it's such a main thoroughfare. It is indeed very slippy.
Thanks to all who have cleared outside their houses!

I am assuming that no rubbish was collected this week, even from the main cleared roads?
Robin Orton

Icy roads

Post by Robin Orton »

A roadsweeper told me this morning that Lewisham had run out of salt.,or were at any rate rationing it severely. I could find nothing to confirm this on the Lewisham borough website - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/TransportAnd ... dGritting/ - although it does have something to say about rubbish collections - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/default.lbl
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Good on you Simono! Hope the shoulder heals up.

Kirkdale has been awful.. it's a main thoroughfare, and if I were elderly I wouldn't have even dared ventured out there. I can't believe that, grit or no grit, there was nothing that Lewisham could've done to clear at least a small pathway section just to make it safe.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Thank God they sorted out those steps on the footbridge at Sydenham Station though... that was a huge accident waiting to happen...
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i did my bit this morning by chipping away the ice on the platform with my brolly.
Barty

Re: Icy roads

Post by Barty »

Robin Orton wrote:it does have something to say about rubbish collections - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/default.lbl
Yeah. Here it is.
Lewisham Council's website wrote:Council services update
Following disruption earlier this week, Council services are now operating as normal. Weather and road conditions permitting, we anticipate normal refuse and recycling collections will take place for the rest of the week. We also hope to have crews working at the weekend to clear the backlog of collections that would normally have taken place earlier this week.
"Weather and road conditions permitting" - i.e. someone's only got to say "icy patch" and then someone else says "Health and Safety" and lo and behold....no collections. (Despite the fact that if the Council had gritted properly, there wouldn't be any icy patches)

"...we anticipate" - "We also hope" .....we at Southern anticipated a normal service yesterday. We hoped to run one today.

The whole statement by the council sounds good but on closer examination commits to nothing.

I HOPE to have a quiet and stress-free shift at work this evening. Doesn't mean I have a....umm...snowball in hell's chance.....of getting one
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

lambchops wrote:i did my bit this morning by chipping away the ice on the platform with my brolly.
Ah, was that you waiting for the 0851 near the far end of the platform? Good show!

I wanted to join in but only had my shoes on that weren't even gripping the ice so my pathetic attempts to kick the ice away just wasn't working!

(And Kirkdale was terrible on the way in, I've never skidded about so much before. As Nat said, anyone a little unsteady on their feet is a casulty waiting to happen).
Lewisham Council

Re: Icy roads

Post by Lewisham Council »

Robin Orton wrote:A roadsweeper told me this morning that Lewisham had run out of salt.,or were at any rate rationing it severely.
This is not the case. The Council has 250 tonnes of in stock at the moment, enough to last about 4 days.
Further deliveries have been pencilled in for the following week, subject to weather conditions driving demand for more supplies.
Helen
Barty

Post by Barty »

Why didn't we see any of it along Sydenham Road, a major high street and bus route, on Sunday?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i know it's easy to bash Lewishams efforts, but most have the roads have cleared themselves through traffic use and a slight increase in ambient air temperature. I saw one gritter on Dartmouth Road.
However, none of the pavements have been tackled around upper Sydenham and Forest Hill.
Barty is correct, in that there is little consolation of knowing Lewisham have 250tonnes of grit, if there is little evidence of it actually being used.

Postal deliveries and rubbish collections have been severely impeded as a result.
Lets hope it doesn't snow again

Ali B
Barty

Post by Barty »

There is more coming.

Southern know about it and are preparing.

Are Lewisham Council?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Barty wrote:There is more coming.

Southern know about it and are preparing.

Are Lewisham Council?
Yes, they are posting details of a photograph competition......

Ali B
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

just to add a further comment.

The fact that the dustmen haven't visited any properties in the last week, means that I've walked past loads of overflowing bins in Sydenham. I'm talking mostly about flats or properties that have to share bins, but i imagine that Environmental Health should also be looking at this.

Lewisham used to set a fine example of a pro-active Council only a few years back. My opinion is taking a downturn.

Ali B
Barty

Post by Barty »

Then of course there are properties who don't have bins - they put bags out by the roadside and get collected three times a day.....in theory....