Horse Manure

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sean

Horse Manure

Post by sean »

Anyone know where to get local horse manure for the allotment ?
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

if you can be bothered going to bermondsey, there's a stables at the junction of caitlin st and st james rd.

the poo is free, but you have to bring your own bag.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

No good if its got sawdust/wood shavings in it, and it needs to have been stacked for at least six months anyway.

Also you need to be sure its not just all B/S
:lol:
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

They sell horse manure at the stables in Dulwich!
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

Pay for horse sh**!!!!!
Why I can remember the milk and bread being delivered by horse and cart didn't have to buy it then, and another thing I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

The poo at the Dulwich stables is too fresh to use straight away - you'd have to compost it first. It's also full of straw.

Maybe you should try the Sydenham Hypermarket - I've heard they sell all manner of @hit - none of it fresh.

W. Wonder
floom

Post by floom »

There are horses stabled in Fortress Lewisham.
When they go trotting around the place, they leave great piles of horse dung behind. Some residents have, it seems, complained about this. (Pathetic, would you say?)
marymck

Post by marymck »

What about the police?

I've seen horses coming in and out of the back of East Dulwich police station, but I don't know if they're actually stabled there.

Does it really matter if it's fresh? My grandmother used to send the children out with a bucket whenever a horsedrawn cart went down her street.
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

fresh manure emits ammonia, it will kill most green things;it should be properly stacked and weathered for 6 months to be of benefit.