Cricket Match STF v The Dolphin

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

TDA wrote:You missed lamb chops - to ensure a draw!
wish i was playing, just so i could bounce you.

recieved a very apologetic email from dan ellis this morning...

alib, i would love to, but am not free till late next week. you can borrow my stuff if you like, though.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Just to confirm - the game is on Tuesday 1st July at Sydenham Cricket Club off Kangley Bridge Road (where last year's game was played). See link below.

Be there for a 6pm start please. If anyone needs a lift, please let me know.

http://sydenham.org.uk/news_cricket_2008.html
URL edited by Admin
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

If you want to borrow a load of pads and gloves (and one box) then let me know.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

<bump>

C'mon Dragons.

Alib
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The weather forecast looks great, the groundsman has just confirmed that we are OK for tomorrow. Don't forget it's at Sydenham Cricket Club off Kent House Lane - just look for a small road leading off KHL called Cricket Lane.

Here are a few pen-portraits of the mighty STF team:

Alib - A man who suggested that a solution to the gate problem at Sydenham Station would be to padlock the gate open and throw away the key. Don't mess with this guy!

Nick - son of regular poster Mosy. "Won't do a thing his Mum tells him," says Mosy. Sounds dangerous.

Andy - Sydenham's answer to Darren Gough. He's from Doncaster and he's as hard as nails.

Jonathan - Another youngster, wicketkeeper Darren has just returned from Glastonbury. Hip, young and in touch with our inner-self that's STF cricket.

Juwlz - STF's answer to Rachel Heyhoe-Flint. Who she? Look her up (RH-F that is) on Wikipedia.

Dan - This man does not like to lose. My right eyebrow still has the scars to prove it! Ask to look at the evidence on Tuesday.

Scott - The big man has an impeccable record in hitting home runs in his home-country's favourite sport. Expect fireworks when he comes to the crease.

Brian - The important things about running a pub is knowing your customers. Regular club cricketer Brian has been propping up the Dolphin bar since the pub opened. "I didn't know he plays cricket", says owner Michael.

Rob - South-African born Rob can, and will, run through a brick wall to achieve his goals. Whether he can play cricket remains to be seen.

Andrew - brother of Dan. Lacks his brother's "strong vocal texterity"
(thank goodness) but excels at both batting and bowling.

Nasaroc - all-round know-all who hid his talent by batting number 11 in last year's game. Will be doing the same thing this year.

Can this team lose?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Quote: "Can this team lose?" I dunno as I ain't seen the rundown of the other team yet, but it's highly unlikely in my opinion, so I'll open a book for STF 8)

Not knowing being a mum, but do cricketers "face off", as boxers do, or will it be OK for me to run round and check that everyone has fastened their shoelaces properly? Both teams that is (insert mischievous devil emoticon here) ;)
TDA

The Double-D Team

Post by TDA »

We're firing on all cylinders and raring to go. Meet the team.

(Captain) Mike Wood - Just back from Glastonbury to prove you can never be too old to rock and roll. (Or maybe you can.)

Michael R. - Dangerously slow.

Marie - VERY competitive.

James - has his own bat

Mike G - tight line and tight trousers.

Joe - a cool customer

Cappuccino Dave - stump smasher

Paul the Chef - a slogger

Chandi - very fast

Sami - very accurate

Steve - we needed one more.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Ref Nasaroc's comments about me.

Alib - A man who "overheard some people talking"
that a solution to the gate problem at Sydenham Station would be to padlock the gate open and throw away the key. Overweight and talentless. DADs, go easy on him.
mosy

Post by mosy »

ALIB wrote:Ref Nasaroc's comments about me.

Alib - A man who "overheard some people talking"
that a solution to the gate problem at Sydenham Station would be to padlock the gate open and throw away the key. Overweight and talentless. DADs, go easy on him.
[my bold] Lulling the Double-D Team with a false sense of security eh? 8)

Re my son's "write up", he took it in good spirit, but I've of course now told him that under no circumstances should he be dangerous ... :lol:
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I'm coming from Lower Sydenham Station, I dont really know that road, can I just take a left from the station & keep walking down it & I'll get to the ground?

I'll hopefully get there around 7.30 I reckon.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just checked the Streetmap link posted above. I think it is a bit misleading. You need to go down Kent House LANE to Cricket Lane. Which is different to what you were planning Ronski.

I'll post a GoogleMap shortly

Admin
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

wish i was playing...but i will stop by the dolphin at about 11 to see if there is anyone still drinking.

if you call yourselves cricketers then i expect EVERYONE will still be drinking!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Looking at at google maps, on foot it looks like if I cut over via Burnham way that should get me over to Kent House Lane & walk down to Cricket Lane to the ground entrance?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ronski,

Yep. Go here: http://sydenham.org.uk/news_cricket_2008.html You can zoom in to see the club house & pitch.

Admin
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Great game everyone. I'll post some more up over the next few days when I get time but I thought the Dolphin might like to see this one 8)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The VIDEO of the match highlights is NOW ONLINE at: http://sydenham.org.uk/news_cricket_2008.html

It lasts 10 minutes. Enjoy or not!

Admin
Last edited by admin on 3 Jul 2008 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Nice photos Ronski....

Except for that ugly bvgger at the top
:D

Alib
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

What great pics! Congratulations to the Dartmouth Dolphins! And well played STF - who would have thought that a score of 6 runs per over would have been caught when the Dolphins' score was around 40 with half the innings over and 5 wickets remaining.

The chances of one match being decided on the last ball is not common. For two to end in this way is extraordinary.

Hoping that lightning does not strike three times, the return match has been scheduled for Monday July 21st at the Steatham and Malborough Ground starting at 6pm. The ground is on the South Circular opposite The Harvester Pub and at the bottom of Cox's Walk, Dulwich.

Can anyone who played for the STF side contact me immediately if you are NOT available on that night, so that I can start to get the team together.

Many thanks to Admin, Ronski and anyone else who helped on the night and for the hospitality of the Dolphin after the match.
TDA

There's no one singing over there!

Post by TDA »

Thanks Admin and Ronski for photos, keeping score, the video etc. It did go a bit quiet here for a while after the Dragons snatched defeat from certain victory. Glad to see nasaroc is recovered from signalling all those wides against us; his arms must have ached.

As for the Double Ds, we are in action again on Monday at the Streatham and Marlborough ground in Dulwich and ready for round three with Sydenham Town. We are also advertising heavily for staff in the Indian sub-continent.

We all had a great time. Thank you Sydenham Town.