The Sphinxs in Crystal Palace Park

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Sid & Ham

The Sphinxs in Crystal Palace Park

Post by Sid & Ham »

In some photographs of the *1980's there were two sphinxs each side of the stairs leading from one level to another. Were they removed if so does anyone know where to?

*Edited, had put the wrong decade.
Last edited by Sid & Ham on 17 Apr 2008 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

There were pairs of sphinx either side of the central transept. I have always thought they were destroyed in the fire of 1936, especially when you see how the granite blocks of the stairs were shattered by heat.

They were built on a framework of bricks in a figure of 8, and I don't see how they would have survived any attempt to move them. There was a chunk of one which ahd rolled into the bushes the last time I walked there and it would have looked just like a lump of cement to anyone who didn't know. If they had been damaged, I don't think anyone would have thought them of any further value. They weren't included in the sale of sculpture and urns in 1957.

I have covered the sphinx's in this thread.

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... ffd160a858
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

Thankyou for that, in the pictures I was looking at I'm sure the statues where not dark in colour...off to check.

Have checked the pictures they are from the 1980's and the statue is a light grey.