Taking Assemblies Forward

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Taking Assemblies Forward

Post by Tim Lund »

Notes from an event Oct 24th last year for Local Assembly co-ordinator groups members can be downloaded here. Those asking questions are not identfied, those responding appear to be either "CG" - thought to stand for "coordinating group", and Cllr Chris Best.

(I previously made a guess that "CG" meant the LB Lewisham officer Christine Grice, but this was wrong)

Although I am a member of the Perry Vale Ward co-ordinating group, I was not able to attend this event. Clearly there were various different views expressed, although I detect an enthusiasm from officers and councillors to embrace Eric Pickles' concept of Localism - which I find bizarre from a Labour run Council, although physically more feasible than embracing Eric Pickles himself.

Just one quote from the notes, which I think is telling
Q: Council has role in making sure neighbourhood forums are representative.
A: Council’s main role will to check this when forum submitted for approval; but not clear how a forum could be revoked once given. Not clear on turnout numbers for referendum. We therefore want as much information as possible before jumping in.
On 'Blackheath Bugle' there is also
Localism – Pickles’ Grand Idea

Then it was onto Heidi Alexander talking about the Localism Bill.

I’m not going to even attempt to explain it all here. It looks bloody confusing to me, although she spoke well. Interesting points:

* Groups of 21 or more can form local forums, subject to local council approval
* These forums can declare “local assets”, such as pubs, churches, etc to be added to a special List.
* Anything on this list cannot be quickly sold or got rid of by the owner. They have additional obligations to discuss any sale with the council. Either an extra 6 weeks or 6 months delay is added, to prevent quick sales of local assets.

So this raises interesting questions: Who can form a Forum? Are there concerns about groups forming forums specifically to exclude other groups? The legal status of these forums appears murky as the legislation currently stands. Should the Blackheath Society form a forum? Should the Blackheath Assembly be a vehicle for a forum?
Source here