Business in Lewisham and the Parochalism Act

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Business in Lewisham and the Parochalism Act

Post by Tim Lund »

Heidi Alexander, MP for Lewisham East and former deputy Mayor,
put an interesting contribution she made in the House of Commons on her blog - although it has to be said a good sub might have found a punchier headline than "Local Government Finance Debate (House of Commons – 11/01/2012)"

She's clearly talking sense when she says
We were told that the current arrangement whereby central Government redistributes national business rate income to councils based upon levels of local need is a complex and opaque system that does little to encourage an authority to foster economic growth.

Mr Deputy Speaker, I put it to the House today that the partial business rate retention scheme proposed in this Bill will simply replace one complex and opaque system with another.
Whether how she continues
The idea that a council’s ability to fund child protection or elderly care should be determined by the number of businesses it boasts is ridiculous.
makes sense depends on whether you think Councils are ultimately responsible parts of government. Ultimately, I would say, governments do have to collect revenue from businesses - and individuals employed by businesses - to pay for the public goods of a welfare state. So her view only makes sense if Councils are just agents of general government. And in this I think she is largely correct.

She goes on to say
I’m not suggesting that councils have no role to play in helping to create the right conditions for local economic growth – far from it – but I am realistic enough to know that the actions of an individual council will only ever be one part of the jigsaw.

Let’s take Lewisham as an example.

Lewisham has one of the smallest business bases in London. 70% of Lewisham’s working population leave the borough every day to go to work.

Prior to becoming an MP I was Lewisham’s Cabinet Member for Regeneration. Economic development was one of my responsibilities, alongside planning policy and transport.

Despite what the Government Minister might think, I did not to sit around twiddling my thumbs, thinking if only we could retain growth in future business rates, then we would do x, y or z to stimulate development.

No, funnily enough, I remember doing quite a lot to try to grow the local economy – not because it would mean money for Lewisham council but because it was the right thing to do for Lewisham people.

Planning permission was given for mixed use developments, sometimes despite opposition.

We had a team of town centre managers to act as a conduit between the business community and the public sector.

I chaired regular partnership meetings with local business representatives.
She goes on to lament
So what does my experience in Lewisham tell us?

In my view, it exemplifies how an increase in business rate income may have very little to do with the actions of the local authority, how economic growth may be encouraged by a council but unless a range of other positive factors coalesce, businesses may not grow, start-ups may not emerge.

Old Street’s Silicon Roundabout was always more likely to develop in Old Street than say Catford. Why? Old Street is on the tube map – Catford isn’t. Extend the Bakerloo Line to Lewisham and onto Catford and we might have more of a chance.

Why else? Shoreditch has got that up and coming vibe of a young, dynamic neighbourhood – in all honesty, Catford hasn’t. Don’t get me wrong Catford has a lot going for it, but it simply can’t compete with somewhere like Old Street.

Even with the council’s plans to regenerate Catford town centre, it is still unlikely that they would be able to woo high tech start ups from Shoreditch. Why not? Because businesses like to locate next to other similar businesses – the agglomeration economies we all learnt about in our Geography lessons – success breeds success. It was the reason why the City of London developed in the first place.

Different places have differing potential to attract business. Twenty years ago Honda was always more likely to open a new production facility in Swindon than say Lewisham. Why? Land. Swindon had plenty of it, Lewisham didn’t. Why else? Swindon is on the M4 corridor, it’s within 45 minutes of Heathrow and within 2 hours of sizeable markets and suppliers across the UK, it has a history of car production.
It's easy to sympathise, but there is no attempt to explain why Lewisham has one of the smallest business bases in London. Instead, some rather feeble excuses - "We don't have land, like they do in Swindon". Excuse me, but the rest of London also has that problem, and its economy has done better than the rest of the UK. "We don't have tube lines". Well, I hate to encourage our local obsession with East Dulwich, but nor do they.

What we do have is a Council which, for all its regular partnership meetings with local business representatives, doesn't seem to have much of a clue about economics.
Tim Lund

Re: Business in Lewisham and the Parochalism Act

Post by Tim Lund »

As a footnote to this, specifically the reference to "regular partnership meetings with local business representatives", I got an email today from the British Academy about a public event From Protesters to Government Partners: Chambers of Commerce 1767-2012

In the blurb it has
Local chambers of commerce were born in the 1760s-70s as protest bodies, driven by threats from government policies. They began in the large port cities in Britain, Ireland and the American colonies, diffusing to all smaller towns by the 1920s, their roles gradually transformed into advisors to government and partners in promoting local economies. Now chambers are one of the lead partners in the Coalition’s Local Enterprise Partnerships around England.
It had never occurred to me that this had been the trajectory of chambers of commerce, but it's hardly a surprise - it's the story of many groups. It's possible that it's the story of the Sydenham Society, which started in the 1970s in protest against Lewisham's then plans to demolish much of the area.

To return to our own local chamber of commerce - I'm reminded of a conversation last year with a representative of it who mentioned what he'd thought a really encouraging meeting a couple of years previously, in which our then Town Centre manager brought together about 40 local traders, they all paid £10 to become members of a reborn Traders' Association ... what had happened to that, he wanted to know.

I was able to fill him in on some of the local knowledge, but his not knowing illustrates beautifully how locally Chambers of Commerce have become principally partners of local government, and out of touch with businesses they supposedly represent. This will be why Heidi Alexander's "regular partnership meetings with local business representatives" will have served little purpose.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Heidi Alexander MP wrote:In respect of your comments on my speech in the House of Commons on Local Government Finance, I would refer you to Lewisham’s regeneration strategy which sets out some of the significant trends associated with economy in the borough, including the flow of residents into and out of the borough for employment purposes. The document can be found at www.lewisham.gov.uk/SiteCollectionDocum ... eFINAL.pdf.

I would contest that the pattern of employment to which I referred is not so much a “failure of regeneration in Lewisham” as a reflection of the London economy and Lewisham’s place within it. I know that the council’s economic development strategy has had two separate, but inter-related, strands: one working with other public sector agencies to ensure that residents have the skills, public transport connections etc to enable them to gain employment elsewhere and secondly, working to retain and grow existing businesses, as well as attracting new business into the Borough. There is clearly still much more to be done to regenerate the many and varied parts of the Borough – the council will have a role to play in this, but there will always be factors outside of its control which also impact upon its success.

You may however like to take this matter up with the current Deputy Mayor who I have copied into this email, along with the Mayor and your own MP.
An interesting point about this response is that the quote Heidi gives - “failure of regeneration in Lewisham”, from my posting on Interea Consulting - omits the preceding word "relative". This should come as little surprise, since on a quick reading of the document she refers me to, I find no analysis of how Lewisham has done relative to comparable boroughs.

This is symptomatic of Lewisham - see for example a post I made last year "The True Test of LB Lewisham", referring to a piece in The Guardian when our system of Mayoral government was being set up, when I wrote
the fair comparison is not so much between now and then, but relative to improvement or deterioration in comparable boroughs which have not gone for a directly elected Mayoral system.

I strongly suspect that no one is checking. This was as much as admitted by Aileen Buckton when in response to a question of mine at a Sydenham Assembly, she said that Lewisham did not know where its strengths and weaknesses were, so all they could do was to cut 25% across all departments, instead of investing in efficient departments as Lewisham pooled services with other boroughs, and concentrate the cuts in poorly performing departments. It also tallies with the now defunct Audit Commission who distinguished Lewisham with a Green Flag for its innovative approach to community engagement, or some such language, with nothing said about results.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Steve Nelson wrote:Hi Tim

I rather object to your point of view re the Chamber's role and of my lack of knowledge of the fate of the Sydenham Traders Assoc.

The Chamber certainly do listen to it's members and whilst we work in co=operation with the Councils it is for the good of local business. We recently have had a great example; all four boroughs that we represent have now agreed to ask a local business to quote every time they are procuring. They have also agreed top use the Chamber's web based directory as a buying aid to find new local suppliers. If we didn't have good relations with the councils this would not have happened and our members would not be benefitting.

As to my ignorance re the fate of your local TA. I knew that they had failed to materialise as a viable body, although without knowing the ins and outs of it. They were just yet another TA that had failed as it seems do the majority. I thought it was a great shame because the initial meeting that I attended seemed to have such potential.

Perhaps you would care to put this e mail up on the Sydenham Town Forum.

Best regards

Steve Nelson
Principal Director
S E London Chamber of Commerce
Happy to do so Steve. Can you provide a link to your web based directory?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

As well as giving details of this web based directory, I'm hoping Steve will also share with us how many members he has in SE London, and what this is as a fraction of how many businesses there are here.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image